[rescue] RE: WinNT/2K/98/95 "up times"

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 11:46:25 CDT 2001

I work on a Win NT box at the office, just running basic Office apps, and I reboot at least once a week (by choice), but in my exp. I couldn't really go more than about 10-14 days without a hang/freeze/whatever to ruin my day.

At home I have a Win2K box that I use for most of my web surfing/email/etc., and it *needs* to be rebooted about every two weeks or three weeks. It will just start getting "hinkey" - won't find DNS servers/whatever... So I reboot it about every two weeks.

My wife runs Win98 on her desktop, and it is OK for almost a week (same as Win95, IIRC) before it starts "losing it's religion." Again, odd network problems, screensavers that just freakout, outlook that strats running multiple copies, etc.

I have a PPro Linux box (Mandrake 7.0 for 21 days, then about 3 weeks at RH 7.0 w/errata CD installed), and it is running fine - I am reluctant to re-install RH to get the second CPU running, but I will this weekend probably...

My Solaris boxes run, and run, and run - but I really don't stress them at all.

So, for lightly used systems, Solaris (2.6 and 2.7 are the most common machines around me) seems quite stable.

Just a few reference points.

Ken