[rescue] FTP Server Reccomendation?

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jun 17 17:11:46 CDT 2001

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 ward at zilla.nu wrote:

> ProFTP is amazing.  Simply amazing.

I have had good experiences with ProFTPd. That said, I would not go so far
as to call it amazing. If it were

o	Feature-full and easy to configure

and

o	Possessed of a sterling security and bug history

THEN it would be "amazing". Only a few pieces of software have gotten this
far. ProFTPd is what I would call the "least bad" FTP server out there. It
has great features, is easy to configure (especially if you already know
how to configure Apache, because the syntax is similar), and doesn't have
nasty security problems or stupid bugs _too_ often.

Make sure you're running version 1.2.2rc1 or later because of the recent
globbing vulnerability. Once you've done that, barring any emergency
security fix for future bugs, wait approximately 1 month after every
release before upgrading. They have a history of introducing new, stupid
bugs that break the FTP protocol on some of their past releases.

Lastly, FTP is a just plain stupid protocol. I only offer the service if
there's money to be lost from users who expect to have it. If you have a
choice, use HTTP.

Have fun,

Dan
--