[rescue] Taking it out on yer machine.....(:+}}...

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 16:48:08 CDT 2001

> This reminds me of a toy that a coworker of mine found on his desk, left
> by an anonymous coworker, at my former place of employment.  It was
> called the "Hacker Whacker" and was a hammer, engraved with the words
> "Hacker Whacker."  The humor was in the manual for it. (Unfortunately, I
> can't remember what was in it, but I remember having a good laugh over
> it) The box claimed that it fixed a wide variety of computer problems.
> :) From the looks of things, it was probably made around the time people
> were complaining about their 386's, but I think the frustration is
> universal. (at least with PC's)

There was one advertised in the early Bytes (1980 or thereabouts)
called a ``Byte Bat'', used specifically fer taking yer frustrations
out on the newfangled computer thingy.  I always wanted one of those....

A friend who had this vacuum tube monster, used a big rubber mechanic's
mallet on it, now an' then, when a certain power up sequence relay would
stick.  One firm wack on the side of the beastie, and up it came.
1000 pounds of instantaneous blinkenlights.....

Something to be said for judicial application of requisite horsepower
at appropriate times, to electronic devices..... followed by a stiff

Bob