[rescue] who cares what the subject is now anyway?

G W Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 13:38:49 CDT 2001

> One employer explained the degree expectation this way.  He said that it
> shows you can stick something out, even when it is hard and/or
> unreasonable (like having to take a phys ed class to get a college
> diploma).
>
> That is why many places want you to have a degree, even if it is totally
> unrelated.

Mmmm, then this means that 10 years Active Duty Army, assigned to combat
arms units, should be the equivalent of.... oh.... a PhD?

No, I disagree...  Most employers want a sheepskin because they think it
weeds out the terminally clueless and or worthless.  Unfortunately, most
colleges have programs where even these people can 'do their time' and come
away with a degree.  (After all, it would be discriminatory to deny someone
a college diploma just because they were "intellectually challenged." )

George