[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 14 06:12:42 CDT 2001

Dave McGuire wrote:

> > I think the phone home thing was someone else, Convex maybe?  The joke was
> > that you wouldn't know anything was wrong with the machine until the spare
> > showed up in the mail.  Big IBM installs have onsite SEs, and they do the
> > phoning home. :-)
>
>   Several machines do that.  Tandems, in particular.

Agree on that. I remember specificly one large-scale IBM mainframe
installation that took place. One of the sysadmins got a package one
day, with a fan. With a big question-mark above his head he called IBM
Support and told'em there must be some misunderstanding, although the
adress was correct.
After some blubberish with several tech-guys on IBM they traced back the
cause, their practicly new machine had a bad fan installed (which
failed), so the machine itself ordered a new one. Someone just didn't
take notice of it in time to raise any eyebrows.

/Bjorn