[rescue] Cray J90s

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 11:40:30 CDT 2001

On June 13, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 02:04:43AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   Let's put it this way.  The J90 is now out of production, and it was
> > the most plentifully produced Cray system.  There were about four
> > hundred of them built.
>
> What was typical end-user price of a J90 w/support contract?  I
> read the original Cray-1 was 8.8M...

  Support contracts are highly variable and are often individually
negotiated, so I can't answer that one.  The base J94/132 with one
processor, 32MW RAM, and ~18gb of disk listed for about $300,000.
It was a great achievement in terms of bang-for-the-buck...much faster
than the older YMP-EL series at about the same price.

          -Dave McGuire