6bone (was Re: [rescue] Free goodies (northern CA))

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 12 01:21:35 CDT 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> So, if I went to the trouble of configuring my network to support IPv6,
> and then got one of those tunneled connections to the 6bone or whatever
> IPv6 internet, would I receive any tangible benifits as a coder who
> generally does application software, not system software?

You would be able to develop and verify IPv6 support in your applications.
This is one of the principle benefits that the 6bone
(http://www.6bone.net) was developed for.  The 6bone was never intended to
become the true IPv6 Internet, but exists so that network aware code can
mature and be ready for when the infrastructure does get put into place.

Plus, it still has some of the wild and wooly feel that the Internet did
back in the 80's.  Even though the theory has been codified into RFC's,
there a great deal of real world experience people are gaining that are
changing perceptions of how to set up v6.

-James