[rescue] IPC for SSL

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 9 10:21:51 CDT 2001

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 06:15:54PM +1000, Robert Rose wrote:
> Hi rescuers,
>
> I've dug out an old IPC from my pile of old Sun stuff and am installing
> OpenBSD 2.8 right now, it's currently generating a new DSA key which I
> think it's going to take a while!  My planned use for this was for
> Apache+SSL server to use with a webmail product so I can send & receive
> email while I'm onsite at work.

I forget how long it took on my IPC, but it did indeed take a while.

> Given the box will be on the wrong end of a 28.8k link at all times, it's
> never going to be really speedy; I know that, but is the number crunching
> required for the SSL stuff going to be just too much for this poor little Sun?

I think it will be OK.  The DSA key takes very long to generate, but that is
a one-time thing.  The slow part of SSH and I assume SSL as well is the
initial setup of the connection.  Once that is done it is OK.

Hope this helps,

Patrick
--
The scooter went into a temporary retirement, because there was no reason to
use the scooter at home, since I have a car at home.