[rescue] Serial woes

John Honniball rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 6 06:51:11 CDT 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:22:59 +0100 David Cantrell=20
<david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> I've just tried to get the SS1000 working with the VT320, and no joy with
> any of the cables I had.

You'd probably need a null modem cable, i.e. one with pins=20
2 and 3 (and the handshake lines) crossed over.  Have you=20
tested the VT320 with loop-back (joining pins 2 and 3)?

> I then tried with a laptop and minicom, but as before, the most I managed
> to get out of it was ...
>=20
> =FC=D8.
> .=FC=DF=D8=D8
> .
> ..=D8=D8=FC
> =D8.
> =D8>.=D8
> ~

That looks like a word length/parity problem to me.  Try=20
messing about with the 7bit/8bit and even/odd/none parity=20
modes.  Assuming you have the right baud rate, of course.

--
John Honniball
Email: John.Honniball at uwe.ac.uk
University of the West of England