[rescue] Alpha/Sparc/NeXT/SGI to donate/sell

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 31 21:01:25 CDT 2001

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Reagen B . Ward wrote:

> In MS, we ran an ISP on a loaded 1000e + SSA for primary web, DNS,
> hosting, email, RADIUS, and infrastructure stuff.  The only other machine
> was an old SS2 that had somehow been upgraded to an SS10 or equivalent,
> and it was just for low-paying business hosting, shell accounts, and
> secondary DNS, MX, etc.

I miss machines like that. Nowadays hardware is so cheap, and certain
realities have changed, such that running an ISP like that is no longer a
good idea. Single-purpose, single-user boxes are more the rule now.

It's sort of sad to see those machines. Here's a multi-tasking, scalable,
multi-user UNIX system, sitting there for days on end running one major
process, with 0.00 load-average, servicing the odd RADIUS or DNS request
every few seconds.

Dan
--
The more advertising I see, the less I want to buy.

Dan Debertin
airboss at nodewarrior.org
www.nodewarrior.org