[rescue] clustered file storage

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 31 16:09:26 CDT 2001

> So, let me see if I foloow you.  One company wants to be able to incre=
ase
> storage and CPU power to Oracle (or what ever else).  So, they have=20
oracle
> using data stored on a file server instead of locally, and they have
> oracle running clustered.  Thus they can add more disks to the file
> server, or they can drop another box on the network and add it to the
> oracle cluster.

More or less. There are multiple approaches within the system, but yeah.=

> Then a lot of companies use EMC hardware behind a pathlight (which act=
s=20
as
> the file server for the EMC SAN?  a FC-AL to scsi converter?) for DAS
> (Direct Access Storage?)?  Is this what you were trying to tell me, or=
 am
> I reading this wrong?

Actually, the pathlight isn't a file server. That's another EMC box. But=
=20
yes, you convert form fcal to scsi and feed directly to the diskless=20
servers. Whatever disk image they get is what they run. The box itself=20
sees it as a local disk