[rescue] my NPR interview is up!

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 31 12:35:14 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, July 31, 2001 at 00:26:39 (-0700), Greg wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] my NPR interview is up!
>
> the following code works fine to capture Bill's interview from RealPlayer,
> and, when converted to the 64kbps mono MP3 format, the resulting file is
> about 1.7MB.

Well, that'd be fine, but I'm not running Solaris (and I couldn't run
either Solaris or RealPlayer on my SS1+ anyway, the only audio-capable
non-Xterm machine I have).  The same trick may work under NetBSD, and on
i386 where I've actually got the horsepower to run RealPlayer, but at
the moment there's no RealPlayer that works well under NetBSD/i386
either.

The similar faked up liboss shared library that I mentioned is probably
more promising, but I'd have to build a Linux box to make it work, and I
have neither the resources nor the inclination to do that.

In the end its just so sad to see content providers get locked into
offering only Real's proprietary crap, especially big broadcasters like
NPR and CBC.  Even if their contracts with real.com don't lock them in
they've had to spend more than their budgets allow just on the real.com
server licensing and they've no more resources left to build simple open
solutions.

(I really don't like running third-party binaries either, though I do
still use Netscape....)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>