[rescue] my NPR interview is up!

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 31 06:35:53 CDT 2001

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Greg wrote:

> Just compile it to a shared object, run rvplayer with LD_PRELOAD pointing to
> the shared object, and the (very) raw audio data will be written to stderr.
> I then use sox to convert to the raw data to a well-defined audio file
> format (RIFF, Sun/NeXT, etc.) and then convert to MP3.

Just to add: to solve otherGreg's problem you would probably have to
intercept the audio writes completely without passing them through.  For a
/dev/audio system trapping ioctl() and stat() in addition to the other
calls listed would probably be sufficient, state of the virtual audio
device could be held directly in an audio_info_t.  I have no idea what
would be necessary for stubbing out OSS, but I can't imagine it being much
more difficult.

One thing I have been curious about, though, is how applications being
displayed on Sunrays transmit their audio to the 'rays themselves.
Obviously they're still opening /dev/audio locally, so some funny business
must be going on behind the scenes to redirect it.

-James