[rescue] ARGH

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 00:48:23 CDT 2001

On July 30, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > I knew about about NetInfo (never messed with it though), and Mach.  I'm
> > still not clear on what FreeBSDs involvement was.  Unix more or less feels
> > like Unix.  The only reason solaris and irix feel that much different to
> > me from linux, is because everything on linux uses readline, and almost
> > nothing on the others does.  Of course, that tells you a lot about how
> > deep I did into my OSs.
>
> The core of the kernel is Mach, not Unix.  Unix is a layer on top of the
> core Mach services.  The Unix layer used on OSX is FreeBSD.

  ...and the userland stuff is NetBSD.  They had a choice between the
FreeBSD and the NetBSD kernel.  Of the two, NetBSD is inherently very
portable, and indeed was already ported to their target platform,
while FreeBSD is not (not knocking it, mind you)...but which kernel
did they choose?  FreeBSD.  Go figure.

       -Dave McGuire

--
Dave McGuire