[rescue] ARGH

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 29 23:49:07 CDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 11:21:29PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:

> I'm told that OS X, for most people, will feel a bit faster for
> somethings, a bit slower for others, but it is just MacOS with some fancy
> gui things.

The visual port scan tool is kinda neat.

> From the programmer point of view, it mostly feels like NextStep (speaking
> as someone with a little NS experience, and all of 3 hours of OS X
> experience).

For configuration, you need to read up on the NetInfo way of doing things.
If you can find a friend with the Nextstep 3.0 to 3.3 CD's, have them copy
the RTF files that are installed and send them to you.

> I really wish I could afford one though.  But I'm hearing iffy things
> about GL, and what I most need is something that does GL well.  After
> that, I need something with decent video capture and playback.  I think an
> O2 would fit the bill nicely, and that why I'm hoping, hoping, hoping to
> be able to get one come fall.

You really would like a FireWire interface for digital video.

GL, I dunno; probably it is not quite perfect yet, but expect that to change
once Maya shows up on the platform.

Think of an OS X box as the Indy that SGI should have built, and you you
will feel better.

./patrick