[rescue] ARGH

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 29 15:31:40 CDT 2001

woods at weird.com (Greg A. Woods) wrote:
> On Sunday, July 29, 2001 at 17:36:30 (+0100), David Cantrell wrote:
> > Anyway, there's nowt wrong with running Windows, just as long as you
> > remember that it's an application, not an OS.
> As has been said already in this thread it's an application that nobody,
> and I really mean absolytely nobody, really needs.

True, I don't need windows, but I *do* need a word processor and a
route finder.  There are no good alternatives that I have found.  And
neither application worked acceptably under wine last time I tried.

> > * - yes, I'm using a word processor from 1992.  Why should I change when
> > it does everything I want?
>
> So why would you ever need one that runs under M$-Winblows?  There
> really are lots of better tools in better environments.

Feel free to point one out.  'Better' includes being free-as-in-beer,
being able to work on my main desktop machine (x86 running Linux and
Gnome) as well as on any future machine I may use*, and having all the
functionality of Amipro which I use.  Being able to import all my old
documents would be a bonus, but I feel it would be unreasonable to
require it.

* - so I will require source code even if I'm not permitted to alter it.

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson