[rescue] Solaris security

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 27 16:59:44 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 05:50:32PM -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>I am thinking of putting an Ultra 1 up for some tasks connected directly to the
>Internet. I was wondering about the security of Solaris. I know it needs to be
>patched and all that, turn off un-needed stuff etc. Any other big glaring holes
>in it or is it a fairly secure enough OS?

If it wasnt, i wouldnt be using it for some high-traffic
web sites and also mailing lists that do over 500meg of
outgoing email a day. 8-)

Yes, you have to turn stuff off.  Yes, you have to be careful and
not put it directly on the net without patching and locking down.

Check out http://www.cisecurity.org/bench_solaris.html

also

http://fixsolaris.sunhelp.org

Bill