[rescue] OT: Solaris for Intel

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 25 08:37:56 CDT 2001

I doubt it - Laptop sales for Unix/Solaris are
*miniscule* compared to corporate rollouts of Win2K
laptops...

Mfgs. will not be pressured to support Linux/Solaris
if XIG.COM went away, the work involved relative to
the increased revenue (how many *additional* laptops
will we sell by investing 3 mos. effort into
supporting Linux/Solaris?) just wont justify it...

XIG gets about $100 - 150/pop for each laptop - that
is the *only way* it can work out, IMHO. (I don't
think Toshiba makes more than $100 or $200 on the
whole laptop!)

Ken
--- joshua d boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 06:57:22AM -0400, Ken Hansen
> wrote:
> > www.xig.com - the sell X servers for laptops and
> poorly supoorted desktop video
> > cards...
>
> Of course, this raises the question, are those
> chipsets poorly supported
> because of xig?  Many people tell me that if Xig
> went away, the people
> whose cards are only supported by it would be
> finally presured to release
> enough info for XFree drivers to be written.

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com