[rescue] OT: Solaris for Intel

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 25 08:12:12 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 03:56:32AM -0500, Tugrul Galatali wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, joshua d boyd wrote:
>
> > Uhm, a SS2 is far cheaper than a Pentium capable of running Solaris, I
> > would think.
>
> 	Heh, whenever I bike around the neighborhood, there is at least one
> pentium system in the dumpster :) People I know have them lying around. That
> can't really be said for SS2s.

Wish I could say the same.  The only computers I find in dumpsters are XTs
and 286s.  Bleh.

> 	And, I much rather be stuck with a P133 than anything less than a good
> SS10/20 or a SS5/170. If it was able to run Win95 comfortably when it was
> released, it has excessive horse for a low end *nix box :)

> 	I would swear on this with my life, but I long since got a free 200MMX
> chip from the dump, and I just bought a K6-2 350 chip because it was 12$ :)

K6 chips aren't easy to find around here, and when I do find them, they
cost some fairly serious money (say $38-$50 for the chip you
mentioned).  However, they at least can be had on ebay cheaply.  Still
keep meaning to get one for my sister (she has a P200 on a mobo that will
take at least a 333).

--
Joshua D. Boyd