[rescue] OT: Solaris for Intel

Dan Sikorski rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 24 22:34:24 CDT 2001

Brian Dunbar wrote:

> More Off-Topic crap from the guy who runs Outlook.
>
> Is there anything *wrong* with Solaris for Intel?  I mean that in the
> literal, not metaphoric sense.

 From my experience (i've had identical machines running Solaris-x86 and
linux next to each other) and from what i've heard from others you'd be
better off performance-wise to use Linux or a BSD.  If you're looking
for a way to learn Solaris withouth dropping the cash for sun hardware,
go for it.  If you want a nice fast workstation,  I'd suggest not using
Solaris on non-sun hardware. But that's just my opinion, and i'm quite
sure some will disagree.

   -Dan Sikorski