[[rescue] flamewar question: Perl]

Sebastian Marius Kirsch rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 24 17:42:03 CDT 2001

ObRescue: Hey, got my SPARCserver 670 running today, in a 3/60 case, so
it's nice and small! Has some problems, for example the serial console
doesn't work, as the 3/60 power supply can't supply -12V, and the
ethernet port is also missing +12V (but this doesn't matter, as I have
it running from a MAU which can supply the power), but it's a definitive
improvement over the original case. I slapped Solaris 2.5.1 on it today,
but I'll have to see whether I can coax 2.6 or 7 into running on it. I
already have a netboot environment for Solaris, and with Craig Dewick's
instructions, this should not be too much of a hassle. After that, this
machine should make a nice NFS server (modulo the graphical console.)

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:08:09AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> First, isn't haskell also functional?

Yes, but compared to ML or LISP, it has some really weird bits of
syntactic sugar, for example a kind of 'map' function that is written as
an operator: [ f x | x <- xs ] is a list of f applied to all the
elements of xs. Actually, the classic example is quicksort in Haskell:

quicksort  []           =  []
quicksort (x:xs)        =  quicksort [y | y <- xs, y<x ]
                        ++ [x]
                        ++ quicksort [y | y <- xs, y>=x]

Normally, I'm all for syntactic sugar, but this ...

> Second, not all paradigm jumps are hard.  Picking up OO programming was
> simple since it is still easy to think of it in procedural terms.

Yes, because you can see OO programming as a logical consequence of
imperative programming. But you'll probably not be a very good OO
programmer if you try to assess it from this point of view. (I know, I
am. ;-) )

> I though that alice used TCL (stack based?) as it's programming
> language.

We're probably talking about a different language. The Alice I know is
implemented in Oz. (And Oz and Alice are both VM languages, so you have
the Alice VM running inside the Oz VM. It's really sick.)

--
Yours, Sebastian Kirsch <skirsch at moebius.inka.de>

You want it in one line? Does it have to fit in 80 columns?