[rescue] newsgroups on an SS/5...

Rebecca Ore rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 24 10:32:02 CDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Bill (and all the ships at sea!),
>
> I have been thinking about setting up a "trivial" in-house only
> newsserver, and I am finding it hard to figure out how to set it up...
>
> Situation:
>
> company has about 150-200 employees, all working on one, local network
> (remote employees use citrix).
>
> We work on projects with a development lifecycle of 6-10 weeks, with a
> small, geographically dispersed team (developer/Validators in NJ,
> Project Manager in UK or SF).
>
> My thought would be to set up a small newsserver with local *only*
> newsgroups, called something like:
>     companyX.AB12345
>     companyX.BB65903...
>
> My original thought was that dropping a linux box on the internal
> network and using IE newsgroup software would be the easiest setup,
> assuming RH Linux has a newsserver installed already. What I am finding
> is that all documentation assumes you want to hook up to a newsfeed and
> serve up usenet news...

INN will complain about not having feeds and stuff, but I've run it as
a standalone server with no feeds.  You can do a bit with readers.conf
and virtual servers, whch might be quite useful for your purposes.
Tradspool in 2.3.* is a bit fragile -- try time hash for the storage
mechanism, which leaves some lee way with expires that you wouldn't
get with cycbuffs (and is easier to configure).

The MS servers need to be *very* carefully set up -- and they're prime
targets for the bad boys.

> Anyone have pointers to an appropriate document/readme/FAQ/whatever?
>
> I assume hardware requirements would be minimal (like *any* SS/5 or
> better, w/sufficient RAM), since it is unlikely there would ever be more
> than a handful of users at a time, and I would like to make setup/config
> as easy as possible.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ken
>
> Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 12:42:43AM -0400, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> > > Anyone had any experience with this?  I'm finding that INN-2.3.2 is
> > > very demanding of OS.
> >
> > Why are you running INN instead of a lighter, better news server?
> >
> > How much load?  Binary groups?  I ran INN on a SS2 for over a year
> > and a half...

Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net