[rescue] Re: Debian on a SparcStation5-170

Rebecca Ore rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 24 10:26:18 CDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Graeme Mathieson wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 12:42:43AM -0400, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> > Anyone had any experience with this?  I'm finding that INN-2.3.2 is
> > very demanding of OS.
>
> I'm running inn 2.3 on Debian woody on a Sparc 5-mumble[1] without any
> troubles.  I'm carrying much of the same groups you are (from looking at
> your later post) plus more -- my daily feed is between 80 and 100MB (or
> up to 250 when one of the HipClones are having a good day).  Stats from
> one of those good days as follows:

> * http://www.mathie.cx/news/ has the daily reports
> * http://www.mathie.cx/mrtg/ gives you an idea of the load average
>   although this isn't exactly indicative of anything because the same
>   machine also hosts everything else for my domain -- web, mail, cvs,
>   shell, etc....

All the rest of that is on the Intel box.  I was running what I have
now on an LX -- with some problems initially with tagged hash, then
with tagged hash and time hash as the storage media.  The SS5-170 has
some differences from the other SS5's (see the discussion at
www.obsolyte.org and on the linux sparc kernel page (link from the
Debian hardware page).

I'm probably going to install on the LX first and see what it's like,
then make a decision between Debian and Solaris for the SS5-170 (which
was given to me to use as a news machine, though I'm really tempted to
bring it back home as a work station and use the SS5-70 for the news
machine).

> If you'd like any more detailed information, feel free to mail me.
>
> [1] 70, I think.  It's certainly not a 110 or 170.

The 170 after the SS5 is the possible problem.  I'll probably install
on the SS5-70 and pop the disks and see if they work fine in the
SS5-170, but I don't need more subtle problems, and a Solaris might be
just less problematic on that machine.

> graeme+sig at mathie.cx                          http://www.mathie.cx/~graeme/

Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net