[rescue] newsgroups on an SS/5...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 24 10:06:38 CDT 2001

Bill (and all the ships at sea!),

I have been thinking about setting up a "trivial" in-house only
newsserver, and I am finding it hard to figure out how to set it up...

Situation:

company has about 150-200 employees, all working on one, local network
(remote employees use citrix).

We work on projects with a development lifecycle of 6-10 weeks, with a
small, geographically dispersed team (developer/Validators in NJ,
Project Manager in UK or SF).

My thought would be to set up a small newsserver with local *only*
newsgroups, called something like:
    companyX.AB12345
    companyX.BB65903...

My original thought was that dropping a linux box on the internal
network and using IE newsgroup software would be the easiest setup,
assuming RH Linux has a newsserver installed already. What I am finding
is that all documentation assumes you want to hook up to a newsfeed and
serve up usenet news...

Anyone have pointers to an appropriate document/readme/FAQ/whatever?

I assume hardware requirements would be minimal (like *any* SS/5 or
better, w/sufficient RAM), since it is unlikely there would ever be more
than a handful of users at a time, and I would like to make setup/config
as easy as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Ken