[rescue] flamewar question: Perl

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 00:28:41 CDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 04:04:50PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Introductary courses at MIT are not the same as intro courses at the local
> community college, remember. How many folks arrive at MIT and *never*
> programmed computers? Anything counts, Logo, BASIC, C, Pilot (!), etc...

I'm told that scheme is easiest to learn if it is a first language.  I'm
over 10 years too late to test that theory.  Back when scheme was invented
at MIT, it is quite possible that people were arriving there with no
programming experience.  Now, not quite so likely.

Scheme can be so unlike the way the machine actually works, that I'm not
sure if it is the best first language.  On the other hand, it is such a
handy way to do some things.

--
Joshua D. Boyd