[[rescue] flamewar question: Perl]

Sebastian Marius Kirsch rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 22 15:26:09 CDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 03:00:23PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> There perhaps are some languages that break that idea.  Scheme comes to
> mind for one thing.  Actually, scheme might be the only one I can think
> of.

Haskell and Prolog come to mind, as well as the more exotic dialects
such as Oz and Alice. (Alice -- functional, constraint-based concurrent
programming. Put that in Dijkstra's pipe and smoke it!) As long as you
stay within one paradigm, such as, say, procedural languages, it's very
easy to transfer your knowledge between the different dialects, but when
you switch to another paradigm, (and there are many -- object-oriented,
functional, constraint-based, aspect-oriented etc.) you either program
in that language like you used to in the other one, without realizing
its full potential, or you spend a lot of time learning the basics.

--
Yours, Sebastian Kirsch <skirsch at moebius.inka.de>

E is for ERNEST who choked on a peach
F is for FANNY sucked dry by a leech