[[rescue] flamewar question: Perl]

Michael Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 22 04:23:06 CDT 2001

Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
>Okay, I know this is liable to generate a flame war.
>Tis good, we need more activity on the lists anyway.

Hard to have a one-sided war. Everyone around here seems reasonably
sane and intelligent, so I don't think any negative comments about perl
are likely. =

>Is it worth my time to lern Perl? (er, "learn perl better
>than the little I know it already")?

I think "Is it worth my time to learn anything else?" might be
the right question. =

Perl is so much less stressful to work with than anything else I have
made an effort to learn. I kept starting to learn C++, but now I don't
feel any need to. =

>I've got all the ORA books (learning perl, programming perl,

Me too. I think they're pretty good. Learning Perl has almost become
part of my hand. I sleep with it under my pillow.  I spend all my time be=
tween
classes (sometimes durring class) in the lab, trying variations
on the examples and such. =

(Ex-soap opera actor that now does infomercials voice)
Since I started to learn perl, I've lost 10 lbs, I eat less and
exercise more, plus I have so much more energy!!! Members of the opposite=

sex will talk to me now - I owe everything to perl - it changed my life
and I feel great!!! Thank you, perl!

Does that answer your question?

-Mike Hansen