[rescue] autoshutdown/noautoshtdown in Solaris 8

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 21 21:47:26 CDT 2001

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 05:47:15PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I can have it turn off the video signal, but that doesent keep it
> from drawing power.

keeps it from drawing enough power to make a difference.  when the monitor
loses sync the tube powers down and the only thing sucking juice are a couple
ICs and resisters and shit, probably draws less than anything else you own.

> What i've read is that if you're going to be away for longer than
> 30 minutes, to turn it off.  The on/off cycle "uses up" about 30
> minutes of "life"..

i only have power management on one machine, and that's my workstation.  the
only thing i have power management do is blank my screen after 30 minutes and
drop sync after 60 minutes.  works for me, and that way i don't have to turn
three monitors on and off everytime i enter/leave the room. :)

-brian