[rescue] cheap terabytes

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 20 17:42:19 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:10:48AM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> As for hot swap...  Hmm.  Doesn't sound very feasible to me, not with
> IDE anyway.

What is the off state for IDE drives?  I'm assuming that is is the bus
going silent and the power being cut.  So, the IDE controller would just
has to silence the bus, and when the tray was pulled, the power gets
cut.  And, how hard could it be to build an IDE controller?  Isn't that
something that an FPGA could be programmed to do?

--
Joshua D. Boyd