[rescue] Saw some odd video baords at a local scrapper...

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 20 02:01:50 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 11:01:29PM -0700, Bran Tregare wrote:
> They were 2 or 3 slot SBUS boards made by matrox?!?!?!

Matrox made a TON of products.  I think the Extreme graphics
board set for an SGI Indigo2 is made by / has a ton of Matrox
chips on it, if nothing else - noticed this last time I dissasembled
an I2 for cleaning.

I really wish that Matrox would put out a good board that did
their great 2D (one of the things I like best about them) while
at the same time having good 3D performance as well.  I recently
replaced a 16meg G450 AGP dual-head card with a generic GeForce 2MX
dual-head (altho I only have one monitor), and the performance
difference in OpenGL applications is *astounding*.

G450 is perfect for 2D and application-level GL, but for game openGL
apps, its amazing how much ass the GF2MX kicks.  Especially considering
that the MX costs around $75-85 street price, nowdays.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net