[rescue] Re: Thermite Was: J. Boyd's sister's attitude problem.]

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 16 22:10:17 CDT 2001

On 16 Jul 2001, Michael Hansen wrote:

> Anyone ever tried to salvage ceramic-case ICs from an old pcb by
> blowtorching the solder-side? Probably safer than the boiling oil
> method, but you still have the problem of shrapnel from the
> electrolytic capacitors.

Never tried anything with boiling oil, but a butane pencil torch works
great once you get the right feel for how much heat different parts need.
I used this all the time with both plastic and ceramic IC's and discrete
parts (even electrolytics), the key seems to be using a highly heat
conductive chip/part puller (I used an aluminum spring-loaded clamp that
both gripped and exerted pulling tension).  I must've torn apart hundreds
of DEC flip-chip modules in my formative years in the name of spare parts.

The problem is that it tends to be somewhat destructive, though it's a
great way to pull surface mount parts if you don't care about the board.

-James