[rescue] Re: (nonparity 30pin simms) Useful or not?

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 14 09:17:48 CDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Dan Debertin wrote:

> Happened upon this today:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1254814202
>
> Anyone care to venture a guess as to whether this stuff would work on a
> 600MP board? Those 80ns 16MB SIMMs are proving _very_ difficult to track
> down....

I can't say I've ever tried (or even touched) 16MB 30pin simms, but I'm
fairly certain that these non-parity simms will not work in the Suns. The
pictures show 8 chips which (almost) always means they're non-parity. If
you found some 9 chip 16MB simms you would have a better chance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1255358806 looks
more promising. The seller says it's parity and the picture shows 9 chips
per simm. $75 buy-it-now isn't too terrible compared to what I saw last
time I pondered these ($45 each, but it was 2 years ago).

Also see http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1254143916
(dutch for qty 4, no bids, 2 days left).

I believe most of the 30pin macs, if not all, used non-parity; there was a
heat notice on one Mac SE upgrade page I was reading years ago when I
upgraded from 4x256K to 4x1024K in my SE. They said you can use parity but
they use more electricity and generate more heat.

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows