[Re: [rescue] Re: Alcohol]

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 13 15:56:37 CDT 2001

Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

>   Ever had Laphroiag?  The 15-year, not the 10.  My long-time
> favrite.

Odd, I prefer the ten year old.  And I agree, it is amongst the best of the
whiskies available commonly.

I don't really pay much attention to the age, some whiskies are best drunk
very young (I have an excellent 8-yr-old) and some are best drunk much
later - I have a 35-yr-old in my cupboard which has a lovely smoky
mellowness to it.  Goes well with Partegas.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you which distilleries either of those are
from, as the Society's bottlings are identified by number and not name.
This makes sense, as they are all single cask, and so will vary widely
from what they sell as their single malt, which is really a blend of lots
of different casks from the same distillery to achieve consistency from
one bottle to the next.

Another for which I prefer a younger dram is Glen Moray.  Available
occasionally in 15, 17 and 21-yr-old bottlings, I find the 15 year old
to be somewhat bland, and the 21 year old too sharp.  The 17 year old is
just perfect though.  And far too easy to drink :-)

> > 10 shades of red when I found out that my half-sister found my bottle,
> > and downed over half of it in one night. Funny thing isn't it? I am more
>
>   Hmm.  Is she cute?

Well, she at least has taste.  Unlike my sister, who tells me she hasn't
even been into a pub in the past couple of weeks.  Bad girl!

      If you're *really* a Goth, where were you when we sacked Rome?
                                          -- Mr. Anonymous T. Shirt