Removing OBP/EEPROM passwords (was RE: [rescue] ID this card???)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 13 09:20:32 CDT 2001

"Loomis, Rip" wrote:

> Comments inline below.

As are mine.

> That sounds as though you're in "command" mode...you can (should
> be able to) boot from the default boot device, but you can't
> get into the OBP to run commands without the OBP password.

OK, so I'll try your other suggestion. I'll remove the drive, set a
cdrom to whatever the drive's scsi id is, and see if it boots. Then
comes that wonderful eeprom command...

> device links need to be the same, and a disk from a SS2
> (sun4c) won't work in a sun4m box like a classic.

Didn't think so. Oh well.

> > Will that work if diag-switch? is set to true? Or will it always stick
> > on the bad NVRAM?
> >
> You've found a situation I've never been in (and that I
> hope I never find myself in)...and I'm not sure that box
> can be salvaged from what you're seeing.

Awwww.... I was hoping it might be good for something. Would a new prom
help?

> Anyone out there who can speculate a little more authoritatively
> why it's just spinning on "initializing memory"?  Even
> in diag mode, it should come out of that at some point...

I think diag mode ends before the banner comes up. Diag results are
reported through the keyboard lights, or printed on-screen if there's no
keyboard. Diag only reports a problem if I remove the NVRAM, in which
case it just sits there.

I'm really hopeful that cutting one of the data lines on a socket for
the NVRAM will help. Then it might find a good NVRAM with a bad checksum
and let me in instead of just reporting bad NVRAM.

In any case, any further speculation from all comers is welcome.

---sambo