Removing OBP/EEPROM passwords (was RE: [rescue] ID this card???)

G W Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 13 09:06:06 CDT 2001

> Cool. Simple is better. It's not so hard to pull the chip, though.
> There's some kind of sleeve around it with tabs on the ends. Pulled it
> right out with my fingers (thought I'd try hot-plugging the prom - that
> didn't work, apparently diag-switch? is set to true and it always goes
> to diag mode on boot. It sticks at scroll-lock on when I boot without a
> prom).

Try this,  Pull the PROM, plug it back in only hard enough to make all the
pins contact (in other words, hold it against the socket semi-firmly with
one finger, but without seating it...) power up the box, wait for it to
post, when you get to a prompt, pull the chip. enter command mode (type "n")
to go to command mode with no PROM in the box, hot-plug the prom and seat it
firmly.

You're in.

immediately: setenv security-mode none, (set defaults doesn't usually change
the security mode, otherwise you would be able to defeat it with a stop-D).
then reset