[rescue] Video Creator

Big Endian rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 12 09:23:49 CDT 2001

>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1254650585
>
>Has anyone ever looked at these things?  It seems to me that it takes a
>video signal in via RGB BNC connectors, then converts it to YUV, makes in
>the proper scale (via scaling or cropping), and then output to video.  My
>theory is that this whole process is controlled via the SCSI bus, although
>I wonder why SCSI (as opposed to serial) since it seems that it would only
>need a few control commands, as opposed to constant bandwidth.  Can anyone
>verify that this is correct?
>
>If that is correct, then couldn't a person use a couple of those to drive
>multiple video displays from one AGP video card the way the MCO does for
>the Onyx?  Shouldn't reverse engineering what passes over the scsi bus to
>control the thing be fairly simple?
>
>--
>Joshua D. Boyd

These are basically sgi video -> ntsc translators so that you can
take the output of a Power series machine and dump it to tape.  The
VLAN port is for controlling special (read EXPENSIVE) vcrs that could
be made to record at frame by frame.  This is from when machines were
too slow to render things in real time for tape.  The MCO is
something completely different.  It reads direct from the framebuffer
itself not the output of the card.  Theoretically one could build an
MCO to work with modern AGP video cards (2048x1152 or some other
insane resolution) by doing the same segmentation of the video signal
but it wouldn't be worth it. All Pentium II class PCs have the
ability to use multiple PCI video cards in addition to an AGP card.
The MCO came about because it was the only way to get multiple lower
rez signals out of an onyx in a cost effective manner.

daniel