[rescue] SGI stock @ 53 cents

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 12 01:34:43 CDT 2001

Ken Hansen wrote:

> If SGI made a nice SCSI-based Sun Blade-class machine with *real* graphics and a
> similar $1K price tag, they might get something going on... Ever better machines
> for an ever smaller market segment is not a growth plan, IMHO.

That's always been my clear theory of why they loose all the box-sales
like universities and such. I mean, how do they expect a university to
afford to equip a whole classroom filled with IRIX-boxes, with their
pricetags? The price on the Octane/Octane2, for an example, is
everything but sane IMHO.
Lots and lots of universities have gone for Sun boxes, since neither IBM
or SGI has proven their strength in marketing and actually made any
price reductions for student facilities.

Sun has a big advantage here; keeping the students happy, learning
Solaris, they know they will get bigger deals later on when these
students graduate, get admin/tech/dev/whatever jobs and is about to
invest new hardware.
SGI, atleast here in Sweden, has this attitude, claiming to "profile
only against the video market". Heh.

/Bjorn