[rescue] Anyone have any info on this?

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 12 00:38:03 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 12:03:48AM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> The info I have found says that it is a Firewall/VPN that Sun came out with
> in '96. The one list price I found from '96 was $25k :-0

i bought my sparc5 about that time, lesse, it was '96 or '95.  i paid $3K for
mine (and got a SUPER deal) and the same exact machine list price was $7K. :)

> It sounds like it uses an OS (probably a patched version of Solaris) or
> software called SunScreen (hence the name). I get a copy of it with the
> machine, but I might just try putting OpenBSD on it.

(Net|Open)BSD is the way to go.  SunScreen is ok, but it costs a LOT of $$$ to
get a current version.  unless you get a version of it that isn't from '96.
in which case give it a go, it's not a completely terrible product. :)

-brian