[rescue] interesting geek toy

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 11 18:25:40 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 06:19:30PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Oh shit, someone mentioned gun laws in the US...

i'm not touchin' that one with a 40' pole.

> RE: the scanner rule - it is the same mentality that makes robber differnt
> from *armed* robbery - "What, I can't use a gun when I rob you?" It makes
> perfect sense, it allows the court to impose stiffer penalties on smarter
> criminals (do you have any idea how many crooks *don't* have radios to keep
> tabs on the cops!?)....

do you realize how many crooks have an IQ of 2?  most people are smart enough
to not be crooks, and the crooks who _are_ smart are the ones you obviously
never hear about. :)

> Also, IIRC, the regulation is a federal one, while typical crimes most folks
> are arrested for are state crimes. By having this law, the federal authorities
> can become involved - by using a scanner, you have upped the stakes!

hmmm, that's an interesting twist.  neat how the federal government makes up
these rules so they can "play too".   :)

-brian