[rescue] RE: Things that go *crash* in the UPS truck...

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 11 15:38:25 CDT 2001

Josh wrote:
> I know a guy who works for UPS.  He recommends never shipping anything
> fragile with them.

Having seen the UPS shipping/sorting facility hub in Louisville,
Kentucky (and having worked on the E10Ks which route the packages
between the planes for overnight/2nd day...) It's a mixed bag.

Personally I've had horror stories w/ all major carriers (UPS,
USPS, FedEx.) At UPS your gear, as it's unloaded/loaded between
trucks and planes is being handled (mostly) by college kids. UPS
works great deals w/ local schools (Univ. Louisville in Louisville)
and trades cheap student help for tuition. This works great for
the local schools and for the kids, and for UPS' bottom line. I
don't know if it works well for our packages, though, as they're being
handled with all the care of your typical college student (don't take
that personally, Andrew!)

Just more thoughts...

-Jon