[rescue] 13W3 -> vga

Sam Creasey rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 11 10:39:49 CDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 sambo at charm.net wrote:

> Bill Bradford wrote:
>

> > Matrox Millenium and MillII.  You can edit the .ini file and run them
> > at a fixed-freq. under Windows.  Of course, text mode doesent work, but
> > if you stay in Windows all the time... You can also run them w/Linux.
>

> Can you 'splain how to do it in Linux, or point me to something that
> does?
>
> Pretty please?
>
> I just realized I have a Matrox Millenium PCI w/4M. Woo hoo!
> Cornerstone, here I come!!!!

Erm...  look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/matroxfb.txt.  It details
the relevant configuration options for kicking up fixed freq monitors in
text mode...

as an (admittedly fairly opaque) example, here's my command like for
kicking up my HP98789A 17" tube I use as my primary display at 1024x768,
sync on green.  (68hz, I think...)

video=matrox:vesa:0x116,sync:0x2b,right:88,hslen:100,left:118,lower:52,vslen:3,upper:84,fv:68,fh:96

cross reference that to the docs, hope I've helped...   the most important
are probably the vesa: sync: fv: fh: options.   the rest are kinda fine
tuning.

As for X configuration, you can get fbset to probe your current timings
and turn you out an XF86 modeline when you've got it right.   That will
get you most of the way...  I'm not precisely sure, this machine doesn't
run X.  (this machine locks if I start the X server, for that matter).

-- Sam

Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as
kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to
repetitive music.
        -- Unknown