Tags and previous owners (was RE: [rescue] What do you guys think about this 4D/35)

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 11 08:29:26 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:02:18AM -0400, Loomis, Rip wrote:
> My favorite tag was the "Property of Compaq CAE"
> tag on the GDM-1962 monitor...implying that
> Compaq used to use Sun boxen for some CAE
> task (motherboard layout?).
>
> Any other good ones?
>
>  --Rip

I used to own a NeXT Cube that I bought directly from an NSA employee.

It had a big sticker on it that said something like "Unclassified computer -
do not store classified data on this computer" or whatnot.

Nice guy - though he forgot to delete all his personal files.

I read his resume - he had multiple top secret clearances.

His specialty was game theory as it applied to things like guaranteed
response times for fighter aircraft (if you want a 5 minute response time,
but the first plane or base is taken out, how do you guarantee a certain
response with a certain number of bases, etc.).

He inadvertantly left a few Mathematica notebooks on his machine.  It was
kind of neat to see how he solved problems like that.

Then I felt bad about having the data, so I deleted it.

./patrick