[rescue] RAID (was Re: Insane drives)

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 11 00:41:53 CDT 2001

Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > Something I've been wondering about--can you collect dead SCSI drives that
> > use the same mechanism and replace the FC board with the SCSI board?
> >
> > I'd love to try if someone has a dead SCSI drive from the same series as
> > one of the many cheap FC drives floating around the surplus market.
>
> it should work.  if you take out the screws for the PCB , you will see it's
> attatched to the drive with a small set of pins.
>
> don't have any spare anything laying around here to try with though. sorry.

I know I've done it, a couple of times. Especially old Quantum Prodrive
AT->SCSI. I don't know about head alignment and other physical
characteristics that may go lost with this procedure, but I think drive
aligning is automatic (in software) on drives nowadays.
A fairly safe solution to see if it works is to hook your new fancy
SCSI-drive onto an Adaptec-board and run the bad block checking in
SCSI-BIOS.

The sad part is that, from what I've seen, mechanics die 90% of all
times a drive dies.

/Bjorn - still not awake yet