[rescue] Insane drives

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 11 00:25:41 CDT 2001

sambo at charm.net wrote:

> > Ooh what I'd could do with a 90gig array.  What would that work out to
> > after doing a raid5 anyway?  How do you figure out before hand what raw
> > capacity you need to meet a specific raid5 capacity?
>
> Raid 5 = 2/3 of total. Put in three 10G drives and you get a 20G array.

Uhm. The correct term should be N+1. That is, independent of how many
drives you add up with striping, the last drive (well, the "distributed,
since we're talking RAID-5) is always only one.

While on this subject; anyone seen RAID-NG specs? From what I've heard
it's supposed to survive two drive failures instead of RAID-5's
one-drive, while still keeping the same amount of data.

/Bjorn