[rescue] on the subject of the 4D/xx...

Sebastian Marius Kirsch rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 10 17:55:21 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 03:48:48PM -0700, Flinthoof Ponypal wrote:
> Early SUNs and SGI machines require a 512 byte mode CD-ROM.  Today's
> CD-ROM's won't work.  You can typically find a SCSI 512 byte mode drive on
> Ebay for $20-$30.  Starting with the Indigo, they could use normal drives.

I might add that many CDROMs have a jumper for selecting block size;
PC-style block size is 2048B, while most workstations prefer 512B. I
have an old Teac drive that I jumpered to 512B, and it works on all my
SPARCs and SGIs, and on my VAX too. (It's just that VMS doesn't like it,
but I think that's a religious issue rather than a technical issue. For
installing VMS, I booted the VAX under NetBSD, wrote the CDROM image to
a spare hard disk and booted from that disk. Worked fine.)

--
Yours, Sebastian Kirsch <skirsch at moebius.inka.de>

Y is for YORICK whose head was knocked in
Z is for ZILLAH who drank too much gin