[rescue] What do you guys think about this 4D/35

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 10 16:56:44 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 04:51:46PM -0400, Chad Fernandez wrote:
> It has no bids.  Is $90 too much for one of these?  I know they aren't
> very fast, but that seems like a lot of memory, and I have wanted an
> SGI.  I don't have the mega-bux to spend on a newer faster machine, that
> would be just for fun.

I dunno.

On the one hand, the graphics board will still be nice enough to use.

However, the CPU is a R3000 @36Mhz, which ain't too zippy.

It will eat a lot of kilowatts, and you still need a monitor and special
keyboard and mouse for it.

Plus the highest OS is 5.3, which is OK if somewhat dated (and you will
never be able to stick it on the Net unless you have a firewall in front of
it).

104 MB on Irix 5.3 is pretty usuable.  I had 64MB in my system and it was
quite nice.

./patrick