[rescue] Re: rescue digest, Vol 1 #1653 - 18 msgs

Neil McNeight rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 10 14:13:12 CDT 2001

> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:07:51 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Dan Debertin <airboss at nodewarrior.org>
> To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] What to look for when looking at a 670mp
>
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Chad Fernandez wrote:
>
> > The machine in question is as descibed by Neil:
> >
> > >SPARCserver 670MP
> > >4 TMS390 processors
>
> This is a SM520/521 pair, 50MHz, 1MB L2 cache on each. It's a pretty nice
> setup. I'm still looking for the SM520 to complete my pair ....

I got a closer look at these today, and the crystal on-board is 40 MHz
(40.033 or something like that). Definately 4 of them, though.

> > $300 from University of Michigan Property Disposal.
>
> Not a bad deal, although "free" is better ;).
>
> Try to get them to at least put a serial console or kbd/monitor on it
> before you take it home. Flip the "Diagnostics" switch on the mainboard
> away from "Normal", and watch the tests go by. Bail if any of those tests
> fail, unless it's just complaining about an easily-replaceable SIMM.

Absolutely. All deals are as-is, where-is. They'll provide power, but you
are on your own for bringing in a serial terminal (unless you think you
can hack one out of PC scrapple... good luck). However, right now they do
have a decent selection of Sun monitors, as well as a few type 5
keyboards.

Oh, and there are definately two full height 5.25" drives in it, and
plenty of room for 2 more (I had to look *way* back there... lots of elbow
room in that bugger).

And they have a few more Sparc 10's available, including one with an SM61
and 80 Meg of RAM for $75. I really shouldn't go back there...

-Neil

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." | Neil McNeight
                        -Mahatma Gandhi            | mcneight at umich.edu