[rescue] What to look for when looking at a 670mp

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 10 13:07:51 CDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Chad Fernandez wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I may finally get a 670mp.  It would be my first piece of Sun hardware.
> Anything in particualr I shoudd look for.... I've never seen one in
> person.
>
> The machine in question is as descibed by Neil:
>
> >SPARCserver 670MP
> >4 TMS390 processors

This is a SM520/521 pair, 50MHz, 1MB L2 cache on each. It's a pretty nice
setup. I'm still looking for the SM520 to complete my pair ....

> >All memory slots filled, with one of two rows cosisting of
> >  Sun barcoded 4 Meg SIMMS

So, you either have 128 or 320 MB RAM, depending on whether that other row
is 4MB or 16MB.

> >100Base-T SBus ethernet card (I think... didn't check the part # but >it's
> >  got an RJ45 and an MII connector)

Nice! Lucky bastard.

> $300 from University of Michigan Property Disposal.

Not a bad deal, although "free" is better ;).

Try to get them to at least put a serial console or kbd/monitor on it
before you take it home. Flip the "Diagnostics" switch on the mainboard
away from "Normal", and watch the tests go by. Bail if any of those tests
fail, unless it's just complaining about an easily-replaceable SIMM.

Dan D.
--
Dan Debertin
airboss at nodewarrior.org