[rescue] Linux error

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 9 22:23:34 CDT 2001

The way things are set up at the moment, a blazingly fast file server
wouldn't help too much (10mbit ethernet and all).  However, I want to move
towards FDDI.  At that point, I will really be hitting the file server
hard.  I keep everything on the network.  Source code for builds, MP3s,
rendered animation.  Even images (print resolution, 50meg gimp files) are
kept over the network, although I copy them locally for editing to speed
saves up.

I love SGIs because they are graphics machines, and I do graphics stuff.
I like Suns because they are just plain nice machines.

While I love SGIs, I currently have 3 suns, and 0 SGIs.  Why?  Highly
capable Suns are in my tight budget.  For instance, if you have an
SS2, SunOS is too old for real work (or so people keep telling me), but I
can load NetBSD on it and put it back to real work.  The SS2 I have will
soon do real work as soon as I put Solaris 2.51 on it or NetBSD (plus
Apache, MySQL, python, maybe Zope, or some other application server).  I
want a seperate web development box.  Apache was easy enough to install on
my file server, but other things, like Zope make me nervous that I might
accidently foobar the server.

SGIs, while cool are much more expensive.  There are many people who pay
quite a bit of cash for 4D machines just so they can say they own an SGI,
even if they don't know what to do with the thing.

Still, I have hope that I might be able to buy a useful SGI this fall (I
just want something with a recent Irix and hardware texturing), and I'm
always keeping my eyes open for 4D machines that are in need of rescuing.

The coolest thing about SGIs is that gtk goes on real easy, and things
just work.  No endless messing around with XFree settings trying to get
hardware acceleration to work.  Some of my happiest hacking hours have
been spent behind an Onyx that just worked without complaining or
interupting.

--
Joshua Boyd