[rescue] RAIP

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 9 21:51:52 CDT 2001

Actually, my mistake; I mis-remembered the reason:

from http://community.silverlink.net/poke/archive4/0489.html :

---
The DSP56000/1 chips from Motorola may be a useful tool. The
only draw back is that they are fixed point (24 bit), and not floating
point (DSP96000 is a 96 bit floating point processor). The code
that uses them would probably be relegated to using a 16 bit
integer implementation of an FFT. The FFT butterfly is a recursive
animal and each time it passes over the data one bit of resolution
is potentially lost in a fixed point processor. Therefore the most use
a DSP560xx processor could yield would be to churn out the FFTs
on array sizes of less than 2^9 bits or so.
---

This was in response to a q on using the onboard DSP for prime number
searching.  Note of course that carefully modifying the code you could get
rid of the limitation, but then it would take longer.

./patrick